Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Long afternoon in the ER


Hi girls. We made our first trip to the ER Monday afternoon. Erin hadn't pooped in a week - prune juice and rectal temperature taking didn't work. When she started spitting up through her nose was when I started to panic. I brought her to her PCP yesterday - they did a rectal exam and saw some blood on her stool so they sent us on her way to UMASS ER. They pretty much chalked it up to constipation after an Xray and some propping around. They gave the poor thing a suppository and I have to give her Miralax with prune juice twice a day for 10 days. We followed up today and all is okay for now.

To give you all a little history since I joined this group a little late. Erin was born with something called an anterior displacement of the rectum. Basically her rectal opening is just below the vagina - no space in between. The chief pediatric surgeon from UMass and his team came to check Erin out in the hospital the day after she was born. He suggested no immediate action as she was passing stool in the hospital. He wanted to see how she grew into herself. We saw him at 1 month old and all was well...no issues.

Since this is the second time she has gone without pooping for a week - clearly distressed turning bright red, grunting and trying to push - the pediatric surgeon at UMass wanted to see her again. I was worried because this is the second time this has happened in a month - since she's been on only formula. I was wondering if her GI can't handle the formula compared to the breast milk. Apparently I was wrong...the surgeon said that with the transition of formula this can happen sometimes with the little ones. He checked her out and said she had "grown" into herself a little more. We have to follow up with him in December to let him know how she is doing if nothing happens before that time. If this does continue he said that he would like to give her a little anesthesia so he can probe a little at her muscle and how they contract in the anus. The joys of being a worrying mommy.

Otherwise all is well in our world. Erin has been trying out new play things...usually ending up with her fist in her mouth instead of being entertained otherwise. Karin - Erin is doing the same things with her feet...she's obsessed with them. I put her in her bouncie seat and look over a minute later - the legs are up and she's grabbing her toes.

3 comments:

Karen Gibson Curtis said...

oh the little sweetheart and poor parents, i'm sorry for everything you guys have been going through...it sounds as though she is in good hands at UMASS and that they are closely monitering her. i hope you guys can get some good sleep tonight after such a long and emotionally draining day.

meri said...

Oh my goodness! How awful! I am so sorry she is having such a hard time. I hope to hear that the problem resolves itself in time!! Poor baby...and poor parents! Do try to get some much needed rest!

Karin, Jeffrey, and Madison Smith said...

So I am a little late to read the post, but wanted to say that we are thinking about you. You must have been soo scared. I hope that everything is going better and that you are finally able to relax!